Monday, March 27, 2006

Hellboy: Odder Jobs edited by Christopher Golden

Hellboy: Odder Jobs edited by Christopher Golden


Image hosting by Photobucket

What can I say, I'm on a Hellboy kick.

Here's the publusher's blurb

As part of the ongoing Dark Horse celebration of Hellboy in 2004, Christopher Golden (author of the Hellboy novels The Lost Army and The Bones of Giants) has brought together a stellar array of talents to further the Hellboy canon. Included in this illustrious group are filmmakers Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Majestic), Mick Garris, Guillermo del Toro (Blade 2, The Devil's Backbone, Hellboy), and novelists Charles de Lint, Graham Joyce, Kim Newman, and Sharyn McCrumb, as well as many others. Lavishly illustrated by creator Mike Mignola!

1 comment:

Johnny Panic said...

I finished this last night. I love the whole Hellboy genre, so there really wasn't much of a chance that I wasn't going to like this collection of short stories. So let me dig around here a little bit and see if I can't find something critical to say.

I always wonder about how the editor chooses what order to put short stories in. I imagine you start with a couple strong stories, the hook, but save your best stories, by your biggest names, for last. That's the approach this collection seemed to take. And it was somewhere in the middle that it felt like maybe some of the authors didn't quite capture Hellboy.

Not that I'm a Hellboy expert. Though I joined the club significantly before the movie, it was still well after its early days. Still, I think I've got a general grasp of what makes Hellboy, Hellboy. And a few of the middle stories missed it.

But by the time you finish the collection you've all but forgotten any short fallings. The last two stories are amazing. They capture the Hellboy feel (a light mix of horror humor, action and Nazi pounding fun) and manage to let a few little things slip about the History of the reality that haven't been told before.

I don't know that I'd recommend this for someone who is new to the Hellboy series. There's a lot in the stories that is assumed. If you're at all curious about Hellboy, start with the graphic novels.

There are 5 graphic novels in the core series. Then there are at least two spin offs, the BPRD series and Weird Tales. I'd say skip the movie until you've at least read the core series. not that the movie was bad, but it's a lot better when you know the full story.

About Me

My photo
I'm just a guy... pretty boring over all. Nothing all that special. Frustrated and growing older (I've hit 30, but i think i'm in denial). I work a job, middle management I guess. We are always broke though. Got a wife, and a daughter, love them both more than i've ever found the words to express. I go to church, sometimes. I bike to work, if i get up on time. I like the rain, always. But I have this nagging feeling that there should be more to life than this...