Friday, November 11, 2005

Dark Cities Underground

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just started Dark Cities Underground by Lisa Goldstein


"Lisa Goldstein tells the story of Ruthie, a young journalist sent to interview Jeremy, a man in his forties, who as a child was the central character of a series of classic children's books written by his mother, the Adventures of Jeremy in Neverwas. But the scary, fantastic world of Jeremy's youth is real, and sucks them into strange adventures underground, where love and death threaten."

I can't remember where I heard about the book, but it was highly recommended for fans of China Mieville. I had to special order the book, and it's sat on my shelf for quite a while now. I finally picked it up yesterday.

I've gotta admit, I judged this book by the cover. And I have been expecting a smoldering pile of crap. But it's not that bad. I'm about halfway through already, it's a quick easy read so far. It's not as complex as Mieville, and maybe not as enchanting as Gaiman, but it's still a fairly interesting story that's easy to read.

I just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (a book I highly recommend for vampire genre fans) and I was in the mood for something light.

So, like a green chili and shredded beef burrito - extra cheese - on a late Friday night, this book hits the spot.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just a guy... pretty boring over all. Nothing all that special. Frustrated and growing older (I've hit 30, but i think i'm in denial). I work a job, middle management I guess. We are always broke though. Got a wife, and a daughter, love them both more than i've ever found the words to express. I go to church, sometimes. I bike to work, if i get up on time. I like the rain, always. But I have this nagging feeling that there should be more to life than this...